Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The Winter Solstice

Today is of course the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year and the point where the days will finally start getting longer.  More Sun! More Warmth! Yes! And this past Sunday I drove up to the Lower Highlands neighborhood of Denver after seeing an ad on the internet announcing that a store called Ritual Craft was holding a Winter Solstice celebration.  As I cruised 44th Avenue looking for the store, I thought about the movie Bell, Book, and Candle, specifically the scene where Jimmy Stewart and his then fiance were walking around back alleys on Christmas Eve, looking for the entrance to The Diogenes Club, which was recommended to them by shopkeeper (and unknown to them, white witch) Kim Novak.  I finally located the store in the middle of a recently gentrified residential neighborhood, and took the photograph on the left before going in.





I must say, the place was not exactly hopping, but considering the snow-packed streets and freezing temperatures, this was perfectly understandable.  There was a young guy just to the right of the door, sitting in front of a table advertising tarot readings, and to the left was a bookcase featuring books such as Candle Magick and Witch (an autobiography by self-proclaimed witch Doreen Valiente), some various potions in bottles, and the latest issue of Aphrodisiac Magazine.  Since my subscription had recently run out, I was thinking of buying a copy, but the proprietress of the store was involved in a deep aromatherapy consultation (I think) with a couple at the counter, and I didn't want to interrupt.  And then I had to do a double-take, because - except for being a brunette instead of a blond - she looked exactly as Kim Novak did in Bell, Book and Candle,  fashionable short haircut and all.  And if we South Side Chicago natives know about anything, it is expensive, stylish haircuts.

After visiting the shop (and buying nothing, I might add), I took a walk around the neighborhood, located just south of 44th Avenue and east of Federal Boulevard.  I must say I was quite impressed with it - a combination of homes both old and new, many of them decked out cheerfully for the holidays.  And as I walked around, I thought maybe I would come back to that shop Christmas Eve and see if the owner could direct me to the entrance of The Diogenes Club. It has to be in that neighborhood somewhere.  But I knew in my heart that if I did go back, it would no longer be a shop dabbling in witchcraft, but probably just a medical office, most likely a podiatrist, and when I asked the doctor about witchcraft stores and The Diogenes Club, he would probably smile, back away slowly, and call  911. So ends another Winter Solstice. And next Winter Solstice I hope to be less than a month away from filing for social security.  Unless somebody puts a curse on it.  I am thinking here Donald Trump.

No comments:

Post a Comment