Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A Holiday Tradition...


One of the big holiday traditions here in Denver is to go downtown and see the City & Country Building.  It is decked out in every color of the rainbow this time of year, and always draws a big crowd.  Since I had a little time on my  hands last night, and needed a Blog photo (seen above), I decided to drive down and take a look.  And as usual, people were hanging out in front, taking photos, and just having a good time.  My ex-wife once told me it looked pretty gaudy to her, and just reinforced Denver's "cow-town" image. However, the older I get, the more I am beginning to prefer the "cow-town" aspects of the city - what is left of them, anyway - with Exhibit A being the National Western Stock Show, which begins a 3 week run here in just a few weeks and is just plain fun.  Another old Denver landmark, now gone, was a huge lighted cross that was set into the side of a mountain and could be seen  from all parts of the city.  When I lived on the 11th floor, I could clearly see it all the time, and it just dominated the neighborhoods farther west, along the foothills. When sports writer and resident wise guy Woody Paige moved to town, he shouted out "It's a miracle."  No, his friend replied, it's neon.  This cross was evidently located in a cemetery in the foothills overlooking Denver. When I moved to a lower floor after my building went condo, I could still see it from my balcony, but had to be standing in just the right place.  Eventually I stopped looking and now it has just disappeared. Another part of old time Denver gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment