Monday, October 2, 2017

A Sports Doubleheader Weekend





My friend mark and I took in both a Colorado Rapids soccer game and a Colorado Rockies baseball game this past weekend, and lived to tell about it. Saturday night we went to see the Rapids play the Montreal Impact, and the Rapids (solidly in last place) actually won the game 2 to 0.  Mark (seen in the photograph on the left) has not seen the Rapids win a game the entire year, and so it was a major surprise for him.  Mark, as regular Blog readers know, is obsessed with soccer, but won't seek treatment for this "soccer bug."  What can I say?



Sunday afternoon we went to see the Colorado Rockies play the Los Angeles Dodgers in the final game of the regular season.  We sat out in left field, as seen in the photograph on the right, and I must say it was more like a spring training outing than a regular baseball game.  Both teams are in the playoffs, and seemed to be resting their regular players for the upcoming contests.  The entire lineup for both teams turned over 100% over nine innings, and I'm not even sure some of those players were actually part of the team.  I suspect they were fans who won some kind of contest.  They certainly played like it.  The Rockies lost 6 to 3 in a game neither team seemed to care about.


And a final word about security.  At Coors Field, the Colorado Rockies mainly employ laid back retirees to check tickets, guide people to their seats, and enforce the rules.  And so I was shocked to see the type of security employed by the Colorado Rapids.  I guess soccer fans are a much more rowdy bunch, but I was surprised to see this type of force, as seen in the photograph on the left, which shows the arrest two young miscreants.  I am not sure if they wound up in soccer prison, were thrown out of the game, or just beaten and released.  I suspect they must have tossed their chewing gum on the concourse, which should be dealt with harshly, but perhaps not that harshly.  Be sure to e-mail your complaints to the Colorado Rapids organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment