Friday, October 27, 2017

Another Great Colorado Sunset




I came out of the bookstore where I work last Sunday night and was so impressed with the sunset that I spent about half an hour trying to capture it on film (or pixels, or whatever).  I crossed the street onto the grounds of Denver's East High School and snapped the photograph on the left.   It was a very weird cloud, almost round in shape, perhaps one more sign of the apocalypse, after last year's Chicago Cubs World Series victory and the election of Donald Trump.  Now I know that sunset photos are supposed to be a cliche, but so what? Especially if they are both pretty AND a sign of the apocalypse.



After I took the photographs on the East High side, I turned around and snapped a photo of sunset over the complex in which the bookstore where I work is located.  The store is located in what was once the Bonfils Memorial Theatre (and later called the Lowenstein Theatre).  Various elements of the old theater have been preserved, including the stage, the orchestra pit, and the grand lobby. The most interesting part of the building to me is that there is an underground river (the Farmers Canal) that runs right underneath the place.   Sometimes when they need to open up panels on the floor you can see the water.  Stick a fishing pole down there and you could catch a fish as well as shop for a book.  How weird is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment