Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Happy Halloween!





Today is Halloween, one of the most popular days in Denver.  It seems like everybody here likes to dress up in costumes and party.  I am pretty sure most of the partying took place last weekend, but nevertheless, in the spirit of the thing (no pun intended), I am featuring a photograph of my mother Mary and her cousin Junior on Halloween, probably taken in the late 1920s or early 1930s, back on the south side of Chicago. My mother and her family lived around 57th and Prairie Avenue, not far from Chicago's Washington Park, and I am guessing that is where this photograph was taken. Of course, it goes without saying that the costumes are homemade.  Nobody in our family had any money back then, especially during the depression.  It was my mother, in fact, who instilled in me my thriftiness (that sounds a lot better than cheapness), learning from her to save as much as possible, in case the next depression is just around the corner.  And who knows?  And with that said, Happy Halloween Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment