Friday, May 22, 2015

Florida Nostalgia


It has been another week of rain here in Denver.  We might as well be living in Seattle.  It makes me long for the good old days, when my sister Susan and I would head down to Florida every August to visit my mother and enjoy the sunshine, along with a little bit of heat and humidity, I might add.  When I was up in Fort Collins this past Sunday, my sister Susan showed me a bunch of old photographs she came across in a drawer, including the one above of her looking adoringly at our mother Mary, taken after dinner at the Pirate's Loft, a popular restaurant in the town of Port Salerno, Florida.  Port Salerno used to have a dinner theater owned by Burt Reynolds back in the day.  Burt got Sally Field to perform there once, and afterwards she wound up criticizing both the town and the theater on a late night talk show.  She referred to the place as Port Saleerno, and described how trains would come by and drown out her lines every half hour or so.  You can't please everyone, I guess.  No matter.  The shrimp and crab cakes are pretty good there, and that's what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment