Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Fort Collins History In A Nutshell


I drove up to Fort Collins last Sunday afternoon to have dinner with my sister Susan and brother-in law George (be sure to check out the photograph I posted last Tuesday of them, along with my parents, back in 1970. They haven't changed a bit).  In any case, before picking up a couple of takeout pizzas, we stopped in for a beer at William Oliver's Publick House, a small, cozy bar and restaurant in the eastern part of the city. William Oliver's Publick House is named after William Oliver Collins, the founder of the city.  As I understand it, Collins was looking for a place to start a brewpub back in the 1800s, and decided on a location next to the Cache La Poudre River.  He convinced the army to build a fort nearby for protection, and Fort Collins went on to become the micro-brewing powerhouse that it is today.  And in the unlikely event that I got any of the facts wrong, please be sure to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment