Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Wild Times At Old Chicago In Lakewood


I had dinner and beers last night with my old friend Stuart, whom I have known since we worked together at Hatch's Bookstore in Denver back in the early 1980s.  Stuart has lived in Lakewood, Colorado - just to the west of Denver - for a number of years now.  When I mentioned that none other than Jack Kerouac had bought a house in Lakewood for a brief time and moved his entire family there, Stuart was not surprised. Kerouac also used to hang out in San Francisco, but Stuart claims that San Francisco, although a nice enough place, does not have the panache, the elan, the exotic quality of Lakewood.  Lakewood, according to Stuart, has an understated elegance.  I definitely agree with you there, Stuart.  It is definitely understated. In my opinion - to quote Gertrude Stein describing Oakland - "there is no there there."  I'm not saying that is a negative thing.  I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment