Thursday, March 22, 2018

Remembering The Lowenstein





I have been working late a lot lately, and when I come up the stairs from my office at the local Denver bookstore where I work, the lights are on and the room resembles the theater lobby it used to be, as seen in the photograph on the left..  The building started out as the Bonfils Theater, later became the Lowenstein, and after standing vacant for a long while, was turned into the bookstore where I now work.






As a matter of fact, back in 1981 my fiancee Lisa was one of the "three little maids" in a production of Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado that took place in the Lowenstein Theater.  I attended every rehearsal of that production, as well as attending opening night.  And as I recall, I was NOT invited to the cast party.  Despite this show of devotion, Lisa still left me after 5 years. Go figure.  I even took many photographs of the production, such as the one on the right (Lisa is in the middle, and Yum Yum, the star of the show, is on the left).  The production made quite an impact on me, especially the Mikado himself.  I have always remembered his famous line:  Let the punishment fit the crime.   Which always seemed to be a beheading. That line has come back into my mind through the years during many situations.  And no - I am not a bitter man.

No comments:

Post a Comment