Sunday, March 11, 2018

Speaking Of Victorians...



I pass the Victorian house in the photograph on the left every day on my way to work at a local Denver bookstore chain.  It looks especially appealing in the morning, with the sunlight shining on it, but since I am always behind schedule, I have never had the time to stop and take a photograph.  However, yesterday was Saturday, and I did have a few minutes to spare before a meeting with my boss at 10 A.M., and so took the photo.  It would have looked even better in the 8:00 A.M. sunlight, but life would be better if I won the lottery, too.  Ain't gonna happen.  In any case, I think the owners have done a great job restoring the place, which is just a block south of the Victorian on Josephine Street that I featured on yesterday's blog.  As I have said before - I think - I love to look at and tour Victorian homes, but would never like to live in one.  Back when I was married, my then wife Lisa house-sat for her friend Mary Ellen, a fellow member of the Opera Colorado chorus.  The house was a Victorian located just a few blocks north of Denver's Washington Park - no doubt worth a fortune now - and we stayed there overnight.  Talk about cold - no matter where you set the thermostat, the place was freezing.  And to take a shower, you pulled a curtain around a semi-circular rod and had to hold on to a hose to take that shower.  Give me modern, "Soviet style" buildings like the condo I live in any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment