Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The Blue Bear




Denver has a lot of public art, and much of it, if I say so myself, is pretty stupid.  I have to wonder how much the city paid for that big pile of red beans sitting by the bike path? However, The Blue Bear by the late Lawrence Argent, a former University of Denver professor, is an exception.  It's official title is "I see what you mean," and features a huge blue bear peering into the Denver Convention Center.  It is fun, playful, and a favorite with the kids.  I was reminded of this as I walked out of the Denver Travel and Adventure Show last Sunday, and I took the photograph on the left.




When I got outside, I decided what the heck, and took another photograph out there of the bear. Like I said before, the bear is a big hit with kids, and all the children on the light rail train were very excited to see it as we approached the convention center that morning. Sadly, the artist, Lawrence Argent, died this past November due to complications following a liposuction procedure.  And although I know it has nothing to do with art, I have to say I am not a big fan of elective surgery.  My sister's best friend when she worked in admissions at the University of Illinois Medical School decided to get a free nose job, and died from an aneurysm on the operating table.  A friend in Vermont went up to Montreal for Lasik surgery, and has never seen quite right again.  And the woman down the hall from me at my condo went in for a routine colonoscopy, something was punctured, and she died. But enough horror stories.  At least Argent was able to leave a legacy for people to remember him by.  All I hope is that I don't meet one of those things in the mountains one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment