Sunday, March 25, 2018

Rick Steves - Superstar?



I took the light rail train down to the Denver Convention Center yesterday morning to hear Rick Steves give a talk about European travel.  I arrived 15 minutes before the doors opened, and still the line waiting to get in was huge.  Once 10 o'clock arrived, the crowd rushed to where his presentation would be, and I was lucky to find a seat  Most of the audience was my age or older, and so I guess my friend and former DU Bookstore co-worker Doug was right when he said that Rick Steves was the Lawrence Welk of travel.  In any case, after his very informative talk, I tried to get a photograph, but the crowd around him was so big that I couldn't get near him.  I did attend his second talk on taking cruises and tour buses, and took a photo of him afterwards, but he kept looking down as he signing autographs, and so it didn't turn out the way I wanted.  Peter, my friend and office-mate at the bookstore where I work, thinks I am a Rick Steves groupie, and was sure I would be arrested for hassling him.  Pete will be happy to know that I encountered Rick going into the men's room after his talk and didn't even try to engage him in conversation at the urinal.  You're welcome, Rick!

1 comment: