Saturday, March 17, 2018

St. Patrick's Day Nostalgia





Today is St. Patrick's Day, and every year on this occasion I think of my Uncle Jack (my mother Mary's brother) and his wife Helen, seen on their wedding day in the photograph on the left.  St. Patrick's Day was their favorite holiday, especially Helen.  She was very proud to be Irish.  I remember one time, after my Uncle Jack had passed away, she and her nieces and nephews drove from Chicago to Miami to see Notre Dame play in the Orange Bowl.  They stopped only once - to visit my mother in Stuart, Florida - and then drove back non-stop after the game.  Talk about proud to be Irish. And by the way, Jack and Helen got married here in Denver. During WWII, Jack was in training at Lowry Air Force Base (now an upscale Denver neighborhood with the Wings Over the Rockies Musueum in the middle of it) before being shipped off to the Pacific, and Helen traveled out here from Chicago so they could marry before he left.  That has nothing to do with being Irish of course, just a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment