Monday, September 14, 2015

A Denver Speakeasy!




This past Saturday night - being the Hipster that I am -  I decided to check out Green Russell, a speakeasy located right on Denver's ultra-hip Larimer Square.  I've been meaning to stop by there for the past 10 or 12 years now, but as Regular Blog Reader's know, I have quite a tight schedule these days. In any case, I went down the stairs and down a hallway, and told the hostess I was just there to have a beer at the bar.  I sat down, ordered a beer, and was highly underwhelmed by the place. I asked the bartender if the place wasn't supposed to be like a speakeasy, and he told me the speakeasy was in a different area and I needed to talk to the hostess.  I got up, talked to the hostess, and she lead me through a door marked "Kitchen" into a very dark and crowded bar that indeed looked like a speakeasy.  It was a really nice, lively place, and I will definitely come back. Visiting this bar reminded me of another speakeasy I went to down in Deerfield Beach, Florida called Cap's Place.  It is located on an island in the Intercoastal Waterway.  You have to take a boat to get there, and it truly was once a speakeasy. According  to a travel guidebook, a chatty bartender told the travel writer that John F. Kennedy, Winston Churchill, and Marilyn Monroe have all dined there, but not at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment