Saturday, September 12, 2015

Nostalgia About Grocery Stores? You Betcha!


I definitely feel very nostalgic about grocery stores.  As a child - not to mention as an adult - I would accompany my mother and/or father to these stores on a regular basis.  When I was very young, my mother would take me to the High Lo Food Store in downtown Brainerd, the South Side Chicago neighborhood where I grew up, and later on we would go The Jewel, Chicago's grocery leader.  After my parents moved down to Stuart, Florida, and my sister and I visited, we would make almost daily trips to the Downtown Stuart Publix and the local Winn Dixie.  I took the above photograph of my father sometime in the early 1980s, on a trip to the Winn Dixie to pick up something absolutely essential.  And so yes, you can be nostalgic about grocery stores.  Or maybe I am just very eccentric.  Or perhaps both.

No comments:

Post a Comment