Saturday, September 26, 2015

Final Friday September!





Yes, hard as it is to believe, but yesterday was the last Friday in September, and October will soon be upon us. And, since I had the night off from my part-time job at a local outlet of a chain drugstore (think Chia Pets), I was able to attend last night's Final Friday events at the Denver Art Museum (The DAM).  As you can see from the photos on the left, the DAM is divided into two buildings: the recently constructed Hamilton Building in the photo on the top, and the Ponte Building in the photo on the bottom.  The Hamilton Building is of course very modern in its design, while the Ponte Building is for some reason designed to look  like a French Fort.  In point of fact, it looks exactly like the fort used in the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail. In fact, I am not convinced those scenes were not shot here.  I'll have to look into that.




In any case, my first stop was at the buffet table. After all, I am myself an an "Artiste" and I need to keep up my strength.  When I first started attending these events, they actually provided hot horderves such as meatballs and chicken wings.  I really used to fill up on that stuff back then and make that my main meal.  Then, right after I started attending, they dropped the hot horderves and provided only snacks.  Probably just a coincidence.





As usual, one of the highlights of the evening was the Buntport Theater Company presenting "The Joan and Charlie Show,"  based on one of the museum's quirky paintings.  This couple are highly entertaining and very funny.  They keep mentioning at the end of their performance that you can attend other performances at their nearby theater, but I think you might have to pay money for that.






The highlight of the evening was strolling through the new exhibit at the DAM, entitled In Bloom: Painting Flowers in the Age of Impressionism.  There were paintings of flowers by Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh, as well as other rock stars from the age of impressionism. The best part was that the museum had its time machine working again, and you could take a stroll through Monet's garden back in 1800s France and meet Monet himself (see photo at right). At least I think that's what happened.  Must have had a few beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment