Thursday, September 17, 2015

Barbie On The Rocks


I took the above photograph behind the Spark Art Gallery at 9th and Santa Fe Boulevard here in Denver a year or so ago. One of the artists who rents studio space in that gallery really seems to have it in for Barbie. In her studio are - or were, if she has packed up and left by now - similar works of "Barbie art" for sale.  I do understand the people who say that Barbie represents an ideal most women can't meet, but still, mean is mean. It makes me think of that infamous 1987 Pantene commercial, which starts with the model saying "Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful " (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I45-zWJtvfM).  They only ran a single commercial using that phrase, and I don't think the model ever worked again.  But don't worry - we never did hate you.  Right people?

No comments:

Post a Comment