Friday, September 18, 2015

Is Heaven Really At 85th And May Streets In Chicago?


Okay.  Okay!  You've had enough nostalgia for the week - or possibly the year.  However, I was thinking about my cousin Shirley the other day, with whom my mother kept in close contact.  After my mother passed away, I too kept in contact with Shirley until she, too, passed away.  Shirley told me a short time before she died that she believed heaven was on the front porch of the family's home at 85th and May Streets on the South Side of Chicago.  Shirley had a sister Betty, and younger brother Byron (who is still around, by the way), who lived with her mother Babe, father Byron, and Grandfather St. Pierre (who lived in the basement) at that address.  My Grandmother Louise was Babe's sister, and she and my mother were always very close to their family.  My sister used to stop by and visit on her way home from Calumet High School each afternoon.  Our family, as regular Blog readers are sick of hearing, lived at 9314 Sough Aberdeen Street, in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago.  Shirley told me to look for her on the porch of her house at 85th and May Streets after she was gone, and after I retire in 2 1/2 years I intend to do just that.  My own theory is that heaven is located on the back porch of 9314 South Aberdeen Street (seen in the photograph above of my mother Mary, father Nelson, and dog Irma in 1964), and I intend to test that theory out, too.   My only worry is having to knock on the door of that house on Aberdeen and explain to the person that answers that I am looking for heaven and wish to come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment