Friday, September 25, 2015

Good Times At The Jolly Sailor Pub





I was cleaning up my apartment the other day and ran across the photograph on the left, taken of myself, my mother Mary, and sister Susan outside the Jolly Sailor Pub in downtown Stuart, Florida.  It was taken a number of years ago, but I can't remember just when.  The Jolly Sailor Pub always used to have a London Cab parked in front of the place, and was quite a favorite with the locals. However, downtown Stuart soon became very popular and trendy, and as a result, the rents went up and the Jolly Sailor Pub disappeared.  What I didn't realize until this past August - sitting at an outdoor bar alongside a marina, watching the sun set over the St. Lucie River - was that the Jolly Sailor Pub did not go out of business, but simply moved.  I shrewdly looked over the entrance to the bar this past August and saw the iconic Jolly Sailor Pub sign hanging there. It looked very familiar, but it took some background info from the couple sitting next to me to remember the place, and where it was originally located.  And as far as I'm concerned, downtown Stuart is pretty nice, but sitting at an outside bar watching the sun set over the St. Lucie River is a much better place to be, even if there aren't any trendy boutiques nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment