Thursday, October 29, 2015

Halloween Nostalgia!






Halloween is a mere 2 days away, and therefore I am featuring a photograph of my mother Mary and her cousin Junior, taken one Halloween back - I am guessing - in the 1920s on the South Side of Chicago, near 57th and Prairie.  It looks to me like they are both wearing homemade costumes, as most kids did back then. It was a much simpler time, and nothing like today, when Halloween is celebrated as a major holiday (at least in Denver) and no expense is spared in buying costumes, trinkets, and candy.  At the chain drugstore where I work part-time in the evenings, you can buy giant skulls, full size skeletons, and even hair spray that turns your hair whatever color you want it to be. What I especially like are the Halloween phones, which when picked up deliver a spooky and - I might add - very loud message perhaps 1000 times over a 7 hour shift.  It's a lucky thing I am already crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment