Friday, October 23, 2015

Speaking Of Sports...


Yesterday, just in time for the start of the 2015 World Series, I received in the mail a copy of From Black Sox to Three-Peats:  A Century of Chicago's Best Sports Writing, which I ordered last week.  I was actually looking for a collection of articles by Dave Condon, a sports writer  for the Chicago Tribune,  whose columns I used to read back when I lived back in Chicago.  This was the only book I could find, but it includes a number of Condon's pieces.  Condon , by the way, was a fellow South Sider.  While I grew up in the Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, Condon lived in Beverly, the next neighborhood to the west, and  - to put everything in perspective - Ted Kaczynski, The Unabomber, lived just to the west of Beverly, in suburban Evergreen Park.  And just like me, Kaczynski now lives in Colorado, at the SuperMax Federal Prison in Florence, Colorado. But I am once again getting off track.  I especially liked the articles by Condon's daughter Barbara, who would start the column by writing something like:  "My name is Barbara Condon.  I am twelve years old. Pops is resting up this morning after many hours of intense research at Toots Shor's Nightclub last night, and so I am writing the column today."  These articles were very funny, and being twelve years old myself, I was instantly a fan.  It took several years of reading these occasional pieces to realize that Barbara Condon was always 12 years old, while I was growing older.  In other words, now that I am MUCH older, I can truly say that I haven't lost a step - I've never had that step in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment