Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Happiest Place On Earth?



Not according to author and journalist Carl Hiaasen, who wrote a book called Team Rat:  How Disney Devours the World.  Which is a shame, since Disney World is just a short drive down the Florida Turnpike from Hiaasen's Vero Beach, Florida home. He would be able to go there every weekend.  In any case, this makes me think of the first time I went to Disney World during the summer of 1977 (I think) with my sister Susan (on the left in the photograph) and mother Mary (on the right).  As I recall, it was a happy day.  My parents had moved to Stuart, Florida the previous year. This was the first time Susan had visited Stuart, and insisted on visiting Disney World.




My father Nelson did not join us on this two hour jaunt to Orlando.  I think he shared Hiassen's view of the place. He spent all his life working as a dentist in Chicago - a job he truly hated - and finally got to retire to Stuart, Florida at the age of 67.  He could now play golf every day with his brother-in-law (my mother's brother Bill) at the condo complex's 9 hole course, sit on the back porch and enjoy the warm Florida weather, and at last lead the good life. As far as he was concerned, Stuart, Florida was the happiest place on earth, so why leave the place to visit Team Rat.   But as I said before, my mother, sister, and I did indeed have a nice time that day.  And what amazes me is how little Susan and I have aged since that golden afternoon (see photo on right).  I have GOT to check that portrait drawn of me in Paris that I have stored in the closet to see if it is aging instead of me.  Another item on the to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment