Monday, October 12, 2015

The Florida Condo Is Rented!



Yes!  It is true!  My sister and I signed the lease and e-mailed it back to the realtor (God bless her!) and our Stuart, Florida condo - which my parents moved to from Chicago in 1976 - is rented.  For 6 months!  That is almost beyond wonderful.  It means that we can pay for all 2016 expenses without dipping into my retirement savings (unless of course disaster strikes, which always seems to be lurking out there) and, since the lease expires on May 1st of next year, we will still be able to fly down in August for Dancing In the Streets and even fly down sometime in October, when the temperatures there start to moderate.  Is that win-win or what?

To celebrate this wonderful piece of news, I am featuring two photographs taken back around 1977, just about a year after my parents moved to Stuart. The top left photograph shows my mother Mary and father Nelson standing in front of their new Stuart, Florida condo (it is the first unit on the ground level).  You can even see my father's beloved 1976 Camaro in the background, the car he was driving when he was clocked going over 90 miles per hour on a trip between Stuart and Chicago.  He told the officer that he recently had a cataract operation, could not see the speedometer, and therefore was just keeping up with the flow of traffic, but he got the ticket anyway.  Damn Georgia Highway Patrol.  But once again I digress.  The bottom photo on the right shows my father sitting on the couch inside the condo.  With the exception of the couch, which was soon traded in for a more "tropical" one, all of the furnishings, including the paintings and knick-knacks, are still either in the condo down there or up here in my place in Denver.  Talk about maintaining tradition. Plus, I think that eagle lamp (now sitting next to the couch in my Denver condo), must be worth a bloody fortune by now. When is Antiques Roadshow coming to Denver again?

No comments:

Post a Comment