Saturday, October 17, 2015

Memories of Christmas and Lionel Trains


I work on the sales floor of the Bookstore where I am employed for two and a half hours each week, to make sure I remember how to operate the cash register when the Christmas season rolls around.  That is the time of year when everyone in the store has to help out on the floor.  A couple of weeks ago, while I was at the register, a customer purchased The Big Book of Lionel, and we talked a bit about our respective train sets.  The customer looked a lot like the father in Frasier, cane and all (in other words, much older than me), and talked about his experiences with his train set in the 1950s and his plans to set it up again in his basement.  I told him about how my father would set up my train set on Christmas Eve each year while I was asleep, and how I would play with it all Christmas morning (see the photograph above that I took in the early 1960s of the living room floor of our house in the South Side Chicago Brainerd neighborhood).  Of course, my father is no longer around to set up the train, and therefore it has sat in various attics and storage lockers for the past 50 years or so.  Because of this nostalgic feeling, will I set up the train under the Christmas tree this year on the floor of my condo?  Why not?  It's not possible that people would believe I could be any crazier, is it?.  On the other hand, maybe I'll set it up next year instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment