Friday, October 14, 2016

Key West Nostalgia


I recently read the book Hemingway's Boat, a history of writer Ernest Hemingway's life in Key West and Cuba from the 1930s thru the 1950s.  It made me remember the last time I visited Key West, which was in the late 1970s (I think), when my mother Mary,  father Nelson, sister Susan and I took a road trip from our parent's condo in Stuart, Florida to Key West.  I took the above photograph of my mother and sister in front of Captain Tony's Saloon, which was actually the original location of the famous Sloppy Joe's  bar, where Hemingway was a regular. When the landlord raised the rent one dollar a week in 1938, the enraged bar owner moved Sloppy Joe's down the street to it's current location.  I know just how he felt - I can feel his pain even today.  In any case, Captain Tony's came about in 1958, and was the place where none other than Jimmy Buffet got his start.  And why didn't I take the photograph in front of the more historic Sloppy Joe's? Because it wasn't yellow.  Makes perfect sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment