Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Nostalgia Time




Yesterday I mentioned my father Nelson's habit of checking out huge stacks of books each week from the Morgan Park Library (located near our house in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago), stacking them next to his chair, and then going through them one by one, along with a line of Fannie May candies stacked around his circular smoking stand. And just today I found a photograph of him doing exactly that from 1970 that I have decided to feature on today's Blog








As long as I am at it, I also decided to feature a photograph of my father (who is on the right) looking at a book celebrating the NFL's 50th anniversary with my Uncle Bill (my mother Mary's brother), who was visiting at the time from Cleveland. This photograph, also from 1970, was taken at my sister Susan and brother-in-law George's apartment  at 1130 South Michigan in Chicago, just across the street from Grant Park.  Our whole family thought they were paying a fortune for this place, located on the 24th floor with a lake view, but today you pay four times that amount for a modest two bedroom apartment in Denver, or for that matter, Chicago too.  Times have definitely changed.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Dave. Your dad reminds me of a neighbor we had back in the 1960s - also in Brainerd - at 88th and Laflin. Yeah, I remember that library. I think it was the Walker Branch. Yeah, times have definitely changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom:

      My father was a dentist, and had his office in the front of his parent's house at 88th and Racine. The enclosed front porch was the waiting room, and the front bedroom was turned into his office. My Grandfather Hoyt was a tremendous gardener, and the front and back yards were always filled with flowers. Definitely the good old days.

      Delete